Your Dothan and Enterprise orthodontist, Dr. Howell and his amazing team wants you to experience trouble-free orthodontic treatment so you achieve your straight & healthy new smile as soon as possible. While there are very few emergency orthodontic situations, there are a few things that can go wrong with your braces. Therefore, we've created this page to let our patients know what to do in case they have problems with their braces.
When your braces are first placed on your teeth and when you come in for routine adjustment appointments, it is common to feel some discomfort. To alleviate this discomfort you can:
- Take an over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain reliever according to package instructions
- Place a warm compress over the area that is sore
- Eat soft foods instead of foods you must chew a lot to help ease the discomfort you feel
Loose Bands or Brackets
It is not unusual for a band or bracket to loosen. If this happens, give us a call so we can schedule a repair appointment for you. In the meantime, you can:
- Cut a wire or slide a bracket off a wire at night or over the weekend
- Use washed & sterilized fingernail clippers to cut a wire if need be
If a wire on your braces is causing irritation and discomfort, you can remedy the situation by:
- Move the wire away from the irritated area with a cotton swab or eraser
- Cover the wire end with a small bit of wax or a piece of cotton
- If the wire is causing pain, you can cut it with washed & sterilized nail clippers or scissors
If you cannot solve the problem with the irritating wire, call us for a repair appointment.
It is common for patients to lose separators so don't panic if it happens to you. Just give us a call and we'll let you know if the lost separator needs to be replaced.
Questions? Call Us!
If you have any problems with your braces, give us a call - using the appropriate number listed on our homepage - during regular office hours instead of coming directly into our office. This way, we can make the necessary changes to our schedule so we can create a time to see you. If you need a repair done on your appliances, call us right away, even if you have a scheduled appointment coming up.