Orthodontic Treatment for Your Teenager
Discover the many benefits of orthodontics for your teen with Dr. Howell and his talented and friendly team at your local Wiregrass Orthodontics Office. Using the latest and most advanced orthodontic technology, we offer an assortment of care options to ensure our teenage patients receive the best orthodontic treatment for their growing smiles. At Wiregrass Orthodontics, your teen is given numerous treatment options including Invisalign Teen, clear braces and metal braces.
Why Should My Teenager See An Orthodontist?
Adolescence is an optimal time to receive orthodontic treatment for the following reasons:
- The permanent teeth have come in. During adolescence, the primary teeth have all been replaced with permanent teeth. This is when Dr. Howell can correct common problems like bad bites, improper tooth spacing and poor alignment of the teeth.
- Orthodontic problems are easier to treat during adolescence. Because the bones of the face and jaw are still developing during adolescence, it is easier to treat orthodontic problems during this stage in life due to rapid body growth. Once the facial bones and jaw are finished developing, many orthodontic conditions become more challenging and costly to treat.
- Wearing braces during the teenage years is common. Wearing braces during the teenage years is a rite of passage of sorts as many teens are undergoing orthodontic treatment. It's very likely that your teenager will meet classmates and friends at our orthodontic practice. When treatment is complete, your teenager will have a healthy and attractive smile that will last a lifetime along with all the benefits that come with that.
What Your Teen Can Expect During the First Visit with Dr. Howell
Your teen's first visit with Dr. Howell will involve the following procedures:
- Photos and X-rays will be taken of your teen's mouth
- Your teen's orthodontic treatment needs and options will be discussed
- A treatment plan will be with developed that is custom-tailored to meet your teen's unique orthodontic needs
Your teen's customized treatment plan may involve conventional metal braces with or without elastics. Dr. Howell may also recommend another type of orthodontic treatment method that meets your teen's needs, while fitting in with his or her lifestyle.
Popular Treatments at Wiregrass Orthodontic Specialists
Traditional metal braces are an orthodontic treatment method most people are familiar with. Today's metal braces are smaller, more comfortable and more attractive than the metal braces used in the past.
Clear braces are a popular alternative to metal braces. They feature brackets made of ceramic or composite materials that blend in naturally with your teeth, making these braces very discreet.
Invisalign Teen consists of a sequence of removable, clear aligners that work to gradually move teeth, step by step. This is a very discreet and convenient way for teens to improve their smiles. The aligners come with very tiny compliance indicators to show your teen, you and the orthodontist whether or not the aligners are being worn as directed.
Dr. Howell may recommend other orthodontic appliances and especially if your teen requires significant tooth or jaw movement. These appliances can range from small oral devices that fit inside the mouth to external headgear.
How Long Will My Teen Be in Treatment?
There is no set answer for that question as the length of treatment is dependent upon what Dr. Howell needs to do in your teen's individual situation. However, generally speaking, orthodontic treatment lasts anywhere from 6 to 30 months. Once your teen is finished with treatment, he or she enters the retention phase of treatment. This is when a customized retainer is worn at all times to hold the teeth in their new positions.
Visit Our Dothan, Enterprise & Ozark Orthodontic Office
Dr. Howell proudly provides exceptional orthodontic care to patients of all ages. With three office locations we see patients from as near as Enterprise and as far as Eufaula, so if you are interested in orthodontic treatment for your teenager, please call us today at (334) 792-1000 to schedule your free new patient consultation. We also encourage you to contact us with any questions you may have, as we're always here to help! We look forward to hearing from you and providing your teen with excellent orthodontic care delivered by an orthodontic team that loves improving smiles!