Your Dothan, Enterprise & Ozark Orthodontist
Dr. Howell creates healthy, beautiful smiles for patients of all ages, but starting orthodontic care early can address and prevent a variety of common oral problems in a child’s developing mouth. At Wiregrass Orthodontic Specialists, we offer treatments ranging from braces to Invisalign Teen, so your child’s care plan will be customized to his or her needs. We have three office locations in Alabama: Dothan, Enterprise, and Ozark, so an appointment with us is never far away. Learn more about early orthodontic care and call our office today to schedule our child’s first appointment!
When is the best age to begin orthodontics?
There is an optimal time period to begin orthodontic treatment, even though we can improve a smile at any age. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends initial screening at the first sign of orthodontic problems, or no later than the age of 7. This early treatment will help ensure the best results and save time and money in the future.
What are the benefits of early orthodontic evaluation?
Early evaluation allows for the detection of problems that will have worsened in the future if left unchecked. This intervention in the beginning of a patient’s life is vital for healthy teeth and gums.
- More effective treatment
- Prevention of serious problems in the future
- Ability to monitor growth until ideal treatment time
- Guidance of development
- Increases the chances for an incredible smile
Why is 7 years old the ideal time for screening?
This is the best time for initial orthodontic screening because the first adult molars have erupted. This is what establishes a back bite. At this point, an orthodontist can evaluate the front to back and side to side relationships that exist between the teeth. Some of these malocclusions are overbite, open bite, crowding, or gummy smiles.
What are the advantages of interceptive treatment?
- Creating space for crowded teeth
- Facial symmetry through controlling jaw growth
- Decreasing the risk of trauma to erupting front teeth
- Protecting the space needed for unerupted teeth
- Lessening the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time with braces
Are you or is your child a candidate for orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics helps create beautiful, aesthetic smiles as well as correcting malocclusions (bad bites). These problems result from tooth or jaw misalignment. Malocclusions impact your chewing, your smile, how you clean your teeth, and your confidence. This is why it is important to make sure your smile is effective as well as attractive.
Why should malocclusions be treated?
Malocclusions should be treated for the following reasons:
- Crowded teeth are harder to properly brush and floss
- Tooth decay and gum disease are more likely to be future problems
- Protruding teeth are more likely to be accidentally chipped
- Crossbites cause uneven tooth wear and unfavorable growth
- Open bites can cause tongue thrusting habits and speech impediments
Schedule An Appointment With Wiregrass Orthodontic Specialists
Orthodontics does not just give you healthier teeth; it makes a healthier and more confident you. If you believe you, or your child has one of these common problems, or is a candidate for orthodontic treatment, we encourage you to contact us at your local Wiregrass orthodontic office using the contact information on the right-hand side of your screen to schedule an appointment. We look forward to seeing you in one of our offices soon!